Sunday, July 17, 2011

Homemade Bug Spray

I found this & had to try it. I love essential oils & only had to buy the witch hazel. Smells so much better. I used lavender,  peppermint, & Eucalyptus. Love it!



Natural Mosquito Repellent Recipes and Other Ways to Deter Biting Insects


I was outside listening to my boyfriend play the guitar on Sunday and kept getting bitten. It was enough remind me that it's mosquito season even though I'm not outdoors that often anymore. So I thought it fitting to share a natural bug repellent recipe that I found on Wellness Mama blog.

End of Time Bugspray, $6 from Good 4 You
There are a handful of widely recognized essential oils that possess properties that naturally repel biting insects. These oils include: cedarwood, lavender, lemon, patchouli, neem, peppermint, rosemary, basil, thyme, citronella, lemongrass, pennyroyal, tea tree oil, geranium, catnip, and eucalyptus. While the recipe fromWellness Mama doesn't include all of these ingredients, you can use any combination of essential oils you like based on availability or scent preference. Her bug spray calls for including an essential oil blend, boiled water, and witch hazel though you can also make a repellent using an essential oil blend and a carrier oilsuch as olive oil, sweet almond oil, jojoba oil or even rice bran oil which I like because it's light but effective. 

Wellness Mama Essential Oil Bug Spray
Ingredients:
  • Essential oils: choose from Citronella, Clove, Lemongrass, Rosemary, Tea Tree, Cajeput, Eucalyptus, Cedar, Catnip, Lavender, Mint
  • Natural Witch Hazel
  • Distilled or boiled Water
  • Vegetable glycerin (optional)
Instructions:
  1. Fill spray bottle (I used 8 ounce) 1/2 full with distilled or boiled water
  2. Add witch hazel to fill almost to the top
  3. Add 1/2 tsp vegetable glycerin if using
  4. Add 30-50 drops of essential oils to desired scent. The more oils you use, the stronger the spray will be. My personal favorite mix is: Rosemary, Clove, Cajeput, Lavender, Cinnamon and Eucalyptus… it works great and smells good too!

No comments:

Post a Comment